Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The switch

In the past month I haven't posted a single blog post. I've written probably 100 in my head while driving, exercising, or laying in bed at night. I just haven't had the inspiration during the times I actually have a free moment at the computer. My last post was about the status of my post-holiday scale. I sounded so positive, so ready to return to my healthy eating...and yet a month later I stood and saw the same-ish number on the scale. Discouraging.

And maybe that's where you find yourself. Maybe a month ago you had big goals to eat healthier, exercise more, or get your finances in order. Yet as the cold days of January passed (three of ours were without heat) it seemed that you weren't able to make any progress on your goal. The Christmas cookies were replaced with other temptations. The weather made your bed way more tempting than your desire to lace up your sneakers. Your budget was broken with an unexpected expense (hello new furnace). And that's just been me. And that's just been January.

It's easy to just think "it's not going to work. I'm not going to be able to get back on track so I might as well be satisfied with being close to the track."

But for me, two days ago a switch flipped. I can't describe it, and I wish I could give you a formula to replicate it for yourself. I went from "I want to do all these things" yet not fully being able to follow through to "That's it, I'm going to do it. No excuses." And it's not just words, it's what I feel down in my gut. Like suddenly that Hershey's Bliss in my cupboard is not nearly so tempting. The knick-nack at the store isn't worth messing with my budget. It's the same mind change I had a little over a year ago when I was finally able to lose about 40 pounds. On Monday morning  (I know, all of 2 days ago) I felt that switch flip on again. It was probably the post-Super Bowl bloat that pushed me over the edge.

So for now I'm just focusing on my nutrition. If I get that back in check it seems everything else eventually follows. And it isn't easy. Just because my mind suddenly decided that snitching chips isn't worth it doesn't mean that I haven't had times the past two days where a part of me wants to slip back into some sort of high calorie snack (that's my downfall...snacks). And there is always a part of me that says "it doesn't really matter...one bite won't hurt." And if I could just take one bite that would be completely true. But for me, one bite isn't enough. I'm an all or nothing kind of girl. And for some areas of life that is awesome. When it comes to chocolate, not so much.

Shake off the discouragement of the hopes you had a month ago. It's a new day...even a dreary, cold, windy day in Illinois can be a day for a new start. A day for you to flip a switch and say today is the day I ___________________.

No comments:

Post a Comment