Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Reason #1 I changed my career path...

Any working parent can relate to the problems that arise when your offspring are sick and you have to make decisions on who will stay with the sick child and the potential consequences at work. A year ago we went through a lot of that when my son was sick with respiratory issues. I have to say that my co-workers were always understanding and the kids' daycare provider was always extra helpful, but it was still a strain. So this spring when we were considering if I was going to keep working, this was one of the top issues that brought me home. Not the only one by far, but a big one.

So I am three weeks into my new role as "mostly at home" mom (has that term been coined yet?) and our first sickness hit...and it has been a doozy. It started about 5 days ago with my daughter's fever. Both kids have strep. It has been hard. The past 5 nights have been limited in sleeping and daytime hours are taken up with continually cleaning, doing laundry, handing out popsicles. rocking crying kids, and trying not to eat the oreo stuffed peanut butter cookies in the freezer (that's a topic for another day). And on top of it the better half of me is 13 hours away for business.

But you know what? I have been blessed. First and foremost by our decision that I be mostly at home. I didn't have to coordinate work and grandma and days off. I was just here. And I could stay in my sweats all day with no guilt (this isn't my normal attire, but justifiable in this case...ready for a nap at anytime). Especially with my husband gone, my availability for the kids has been so much less hectic. And each time that I am woken up in the middle of the night to rock a feverish or hurting child (8 times last night), I think of friends who have lost children and would give anything to have one of those sleepless nights back if it meant holding their kids.

For our family, at this time, bringing mama home more has been the best decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment